Even if it weren't the season to be getting gifts ready and to be thinking of others, I would still be sewing a little bit every day. It does help calm me down since the fabric and thread go in the direction I tell it to and it can't talk back to me or yell at me.
I finished the school bags completely yesterday afternoon and went to our activity and turned them in. But by the end of the day, I was still itching to work on something else. I started my skirt that I'm making with a fabric line called "Fruitcake" that I had gotten several layer cakes and jelly rolls (at a great price at this really great web page called Stitch Steals, they have a "steal" a day, an item at a really great price ). For those interested a layer cake is a stack of fabric that has 42 pieces that are 10" square. A jelly roll is a roll of fabric that has 40 strips of fabric that are 2 1/2" by 45".
Here's the sample page for the "Fruitcake" line:
Fruitcake by Basic Grey
With the fabric I received I pieced a quilt that came out to be about a full size (68" x 90"). There will be further on this quilt later since I did take pictures as I worked on it and it is my own design and scheme. I also had enough fabric for a couple of other projects. Some will come up later, but the one I started working on last night was for myself.
But before I get to that let me tell you about a totally awesome web page that I found.
Moda Bake Shop is amazing. You can search for projects that use layer cakes and jelly rolls, or just charm packs or just start looking at the type of project you want to make. So, after spending almost all day browsing through their copious listings of projects I decided on this one:
Summer Swing Skirt
I absolutely love this type of skirt. And I have enough fabric to make it without the prints of snowmen and ornaments (they went into the quilt) but this skirt could feasibly be worn year round, at least in the winter time, for the fabrics I'm using. Last night I sat down and started the first layer. I like a more comfy, roomy skirt, so I used 6 squares for the top layer. I cut my second layer fabrics in half and started laying them out, that's 60 half strips. Then my eyes started to close on their own and I decided to stop for the night.
I'd like to maybe get the second layer finished today, but in reality I'll probably get the strips laid out in order and then start to sew them.
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment