So I start out this month with some sewing, not for me, but as a service project. My branch Relief Society set the goal of making 12 Humanitarian school kits and 12 Humanitarian newborn kits. The only problem with that is that I was the only one who knew how to sew. That's 12 blankets and 12 school bags. Most of the fabric was donated, but it still takes time to make them, especially if they are to be done by the end of the year. Kudos to my mom who sent us 12 sets of booties to put in the newborn kits (especially since the sisters here looked at me like I was crazy for suggesting we make them ourselves). My goal was to try to finish them all by tonight's activity where we will be assembling all we have gotten for these kits and see where we need to get more stuff. So yesterday I sat down and sewed some more of the handles for the bags. As of right now, I need to sew together one more set of handles and then sew 11 sets of handles onto their bags and sew the velcro closure on.
You may be thinking "wait, she said she had blankets too, what about those?" The blankets were fortunately able to be passed on to another sister that moved in to our branch a few months back and also sews a little bit and was willing to help out. Yeah!
Today and yesterday's sewing was for service and I'm still gathering some of the items needed to assemble some of the other projects-patterns and fabrics and notions and things. So hopefully tomorrow I can finally start crossing some things off of my list.
Here's a link to the kits we are assembling:
Make Humanitarian Kits
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment