Friday, November 12, 2010

Headbands




So you saw that cute little headband my daughter was wearing in the last post? She really wanted one with red on it, but for some weird reason, my machine would not sew with the red thread. But I'll tell you how I made it.

Remember those extra strips I had after finished the 2 skirts and the quilt? I just took one of those 2 1/2 inches by 45 inches strips and folded in half so it looked like it was 1 1/4 inches wide.
Then stitch across the short ends and stick a safety pin in the end. Stitch down the length, but don't forget to leave about a 2 inch opening halfway down for turning it inside out. Once it's stitched, turn it right-side out through the opening. You can iron it flat if you like at this step, but I just top-stitched along the side where my seam was and then turned it around and did a top-stitch on the other side where the fold was. Then if you want to add some contrast or coordinating threads, check out your decorative stitches on your sewing machine. I did one that looked kind of like a branch with brown thread on white fabric for mine. The stitch looked like one of the prints that was in my skirt. Stitch that all the way down the center.

To wear, just put in place around the head, like a headband and tie at the nape of the neck under your hear. I found that for my shoulder-blade length hair, the ends were just shorter than my hair. My 4 year old daughter has curly hair that when wet and mostly straight goes halfway down her back and there was enough to tie a bow either in the back under her hair or in the front without the ends being in her face. She wanted to look like mommy though, and knotted in the back the ends were longer than her hair.

This project is simple enough for anyone to do and if you have an extra strip or two, can totally help accessorize an outfit, which my cutie insists on.




No comments: