Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Growing in Unity-Day 2

Hey everyone! How's everyone doing this morning? So far, so good for me, plans for today involve cleaning up some more, talking to you lovely people, creating something fun, and hopefully putting up some shelves so I can organize my crafty space.

Today's project is one I've had my eye on for a while. I have had in my crafty books one called "Artsy Collage: Word & Sayings Collage Kit" from Hot Off The Press. If you look at the cover, in the upper right there are two jars, I love the idea of these jars. These ones are called "Secrets and Dream Jars." I wanted to do something similar, but stamp them instead of decoupage them.
I went with two different themes, but one is incomplete at this precise moment because I need to rethink the last stage of it.


I found, on my last trip to D.I., these wonderful square jars for 50 cents each. One of the lids stuck a little bit, but they were perfect otherwise. I was going through my stamps and one theme just started to jump out at me.


The first one got painted black. I used just a regular acrylic paint and foam brush.


Then on the sides, I lined up 3 small snowflakes, 2 from the "Mitten Weather Flourishes" stamp set and the third one, the one on the left, was in a grab bag of stamps that I had gotten from Unity a while ago. I stamped them in white ink.


On the lid, I put one of the big snowflakes and a sentiment from the same set, "Mitten Weather Flourishes."



I tried to add some glitter to the inked stamps before it was dry, but somehow it doesn't quite show up as well as I had hoped.


You can see the sparkle a little bit better on the lid.


Here's the first one finished. I was thinking about putting some Hershey's Hugs and Kisses inside it and giving as a Christmas gift.


The second one I painted green.


Then I streaked some blue across the green to give it an interesting texture. I had some blue cardstock that matched the blue paint and I tore that up into strips to go around the base and a square for the top. Then I sponged the green paint on the edges of the strips and used the paint to ink up the definition stamp from the new "Uniquely Unity" stamp set from Archiver's. I repeated that stamp across my strips and on the top square.


Here's the papers glued down around the base. I was going to put a tag on the top with the stamp "Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them, but you know they are there"
My problem, though, is that it feels like there is something else that could go there. I tried just stamping the sentiment in green and then black on a smaller tag for the top, but the phone rang right as I was stamping that one and totally ruined it. Does anyone have any good ideas for this one? Right now it is still as this last picture, but I do like the way it looks right now, but it needs more.

Don't forget to leave a comment to get entered to win a set of Unity stamps. I'll leave the giveaway open until next Monday, May 23.

21 comments:

elsa said...

I love the boxes, they turned out great. The second one you could put something just for boys.

Maria said...

Wonderful boxes! Love what you did.

Gwen said...

What a great project. Be sure to post when you finish the green/blue one.

Anonymous said...

Love what you did with the jars! Great gifts!

Unknown said...

What a GREAT idea! I am looking forward in seeing your crafty space!!

Victoria said...

Terrific idea on your great bargain find boxes! You did a great job on the stamping onto such a difficult surface. I think the green blue one would be nice with a pattern stamped onto it then cut out stamps of something...... Or birds.... But I have a bird problem.. Lol. The other thing you could do is in keeping w/ your winter theme you could do trees and add some snow at the bottom with glitter. Whatever you do I'd love to see your finished project.

Diane said...

Cute idea.....mayve something "vintage-ie" (is that a word?..lol) on it...it the colors just screams for vintage...like something by the sea......

Rachel B said...

Wow, your jar turned out so amazing. You are so great at altering things. SO creative!

Jennine Chambers said...

What a great idea! Can't wait to see what the last two look finished.

StampinCathy said...

What fun boxes and what a great idea.

michib said...

very neat idea with the jars - I never would have thought of using acrylic paint on them.

Carol said...

Very creative idea, love it!

Carol B
ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

sharon g said...

What a good idea. I could use one either in my craft room or my new computer room.

Amber Sheaves said...

Do you not need to seal the jars with something to keep the paint from chipping off?

Holly and little people said...

Amber-I can use a clear glaze to seal everything when they are done.

Sarah said...

Great idea with the jars - I wouldn't of thought to paint them. Simple gift ideas! :-)

Karenladd said...

Wow, I love the black one with the snowflakes!! I don't usually work with 3-D projects so I admire you for tackling these! The blue-green one would look nice, I think, with stamped trees that you cut out and add along the bottom with foam tape. maybe a little glitter on the trees!?

SHartl said...

I have to say that I have never thought to paint glass with acrylic paint but it looks great! Thanks for the chance to win some Unity.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW! What a great project--totally bookmarking this:)

Desi said...

I wouldn't have thought about this! Great use of inexpensive materials to make some hidden storage areas. Stamping on the painted surface is fantastic!

Denise Bryant said...

Great project! Never would have thought of using paint!
DeniseB