Monday, May 9, 2011

Recent Projects

These last few weeks have been filled with adventures, both big and small. Over spring break, my 6 1/2 year old son got his first sewing lesson and he made a quilt for his teacher. He picked out the fabric, decided on the placement, and sat in my lap to sew the squares together. He was so excited to finish that I had to remind him constantly that it was a secret and that we weren't going to tell his teacher about it just yet-every day he has come home and had to reassure me that he hadn't told anyone about it.

My P-I-T (princess in training) also got her first sewing lesson and we covered picking the pattern and how to lay it out and how to pin it down and then watch while mommy cuts it out. We then covered the parts of the sewing machine and sewed the facing and the collar on her shirt. She then informed me that I was allowed to finish it for her and that she would need a skirt to match it. She has also asked for another sewing lesson, this time we will be working with Tinkerbell fabric (the last time it was princess fabrics).

We are gathering fabrics and patterns for a school wardrobe for my P-I-T. The color scheme is browns, pinks and greens. I've got most of the fabrics and ideas of the patterns and just have to gather notions, but we have several months before that has to be done.

I have also started doing some other crafty things besides sewing and quilting. Okay, it's more of an I'm trying out some other things that I haven't really had time or the resources to work on. I have always wanted to work on a scrapbook, but I was concerned about my monsters trying to copy mommy and tearing (or cutting) up all the paper in sight. I have started making cards and notebooks and some altered tins and things.

I'm going to be posting some pictures soon of some of those projects, and maybe even some of the kids during their sewing lessons. I hope that everyone has a great day today (or tomorrow since it's so late right now) and that you do at least one thing today that will make you smile!

No comments: